October 2014: The Business of Writing
Today, hard covered books are not the only publishing option. You need to understand all the aspects of Traditional and Non-Traditional Publishing. Even if you plan to get a literary agent, a business manager, or a public relations specialist, inform yourself about the writing business.
Writers aren't referred to as "faint-hearted." Everyone who scribed a piece of prose or poetry needs to understand their craft. A struggling apprentice needs to stay current about the business of writing.
This weekend I dared to explore the world of independent and self-publishing writers. Watch for my blogs sharing the following information gleamed from two fruitful days:
- Traditional publishing vs. Self-publishing
- Selecting a third party vendo that meets your self-publishing goals
- Writing a marketing plan
- Selecting alpha and beta readers and a critique group
- Finding independent book reviewers
- Making friends with technology
A big thank you to all the organizers of IndieRECONLive! 2014 for a great conference. It was well-organized, offered multiple options for learning, and attracted a sharing audience.